- Last Updated on Wednesday, 14 January 2015 09:49
AIMS OF THE ENGLISH NATIONAL PROGRAMME
The Programme aims, in conjunction with the ALA-ELP Association (and as far as places and resources allow, these being defined by the Association’s committee and by the International Lycée and College, Ferney-Voltaire):
- To provide high quality tuition, within the French educational system, in English, mathematics and/or history geography for mother tongue or fluent second language users of English, as assessed by testing on entry.
- To provide the teaching, the materials and the experiences necessary for maintaining high academic standards, so as to allow each individual pupil to attain the appropriate level of excellence.
- To encourage pupils to work and participate with motivation, and to take pride and pleasure in all aspects of their work.
- To promote fruitful relationships between staff, pupils and parents.
- To follow UK curricula and teaching practices, adapting them carefully to the Programme’s circumstances, employing qualified English mother-tongue teachers.
- To teach for and promote the importance of the two French state bilingual examinations: OIB brevet and baccalauréat.
- To assess its pupils against UK criteria as well as using the French marking system, and to prepare students for appropriate UK public examinations.
- To promote the ideals and the practice of bilingual and bicultural education.
- To cooperate with the French school on administration, organisation, assessment and discipline.
- To follow and to promote amongst students and parents adherence to the rules and procedures of the French school.
- To offer guidance to students and parents on educational choices.
- To help prepare students for higher education in English-speaking countries.
- To actively involve teachers in developing and running the Programme, and to provide training to encourage professional development.
- To foster good public relations between the Programme and the communities with which and in which it works.